Programmable Battery Charge/Discharge Test System
- High precision output and measurement up to 0.02%
- Independent operation and test
- Channel parallel output function maximum 600A
- High Sampling Rate up to 10ms
- CC/CC-CV/CP Charge/Discharge modes
- Flexible (∆t, ∆V, ∆I, ∆Q), data acquisition
- Real-time data acquisition and log (Q, Vt, It, time ) and step termination status(Q, V_end, I_end, time)
- Linear circuit design, low ripple current (17202-5-20 & 17202-5-30)
- Build-in two battery DCIR test mode to get DCIR values rapidly and accurately(DCIR=Ro+Rp , ACIR≅Ro)
- Build-in EDLC capacitance (F) and DCIR test functions to provide prompt and accurate test results.(17202-5-20 & 17202-5-30 only)
- Real-time outer loop resistance monitoring
- Modular design for easy installation and maintenance (17202-5-20 & 17202-5-30 only)
- Composed with redundancy DC power supply, avoid the effect for long term test during power down(62000B only)
- Discharging energy recycle function (A691103 only)
- Battery charge & discharge test
- Battery capacity and DCIR test
- EDLC charge & discharge test (17202-5-20 & 17202-5-30 only)
- EDLC capacitance and DCR (17202-5-20 & 17202-5-30 only)
- Charge & discharge life cycle test
- OQC test
- IQC test
- Battery characteristic analysis
- Material test
- Production trial run
- Battery cell voltage balance
Chroma 17011 Charge/Discharge Test System is a high precision equipment designed specifically for testing Lithium-ion secondary batteries and Electrical Double Layer Capacitors (EDLC). It is suitable for cycle life testing, incoming and shipping inspection, product characteristics screening, material experiment and small batch trial run.
Chroma 17011 has fast output and measurement recording capability with highly accurate specification to assure the test quality. Its stable performance is applicable for various tests requiring reliable data. The flexible programming function is capable of sending formula to each channel for independent test. Moreover, the modular design of multi-channel architecture can be configured based on the quantity desired for test. Meanwhile, the channel supports parallel output that can be setup flexibly for large current tests. The application range covers various types of single lithium-ion battery testing in different capacities or battery module characteristics testing with large capacity. The high utilization of the test system makes no need to purchase a variety of equipment in different specifications for testing the diversified products.
Chroma 17011 uses Ethernet interface to connect an external computer and to control and program each channel independently with multiple test modes built in. It is able to implement the charge and discharge tests of CC-CV, CC, CP, battery DCIR tests, capacitance tests for ultra capacitor and DCR tests. The step conversion is performed based on the time, voltage, current or power set in each test mode; while the data collected contains the returned test step, status, voltage, current and capacity. In addition, sampling via the conditions of time, voltage, current or capacity can be set for selection flexibly.
Multiple safety designs are made for Chroma 17011 for testing such as contact check and polarity check to confirm the circuit status before the test starts, also to ensure the safety of charge and discharge. It has over voltage, over current and loop resistance detecting functions to make sure the safety of test process . It also has data archive mechanism to store the data in memory without loss when the computer is encountering short and power outage error. It can log the interrupted status and select to continue the test after rebooted.
The built-in IEC 62391 (same as EIAJ-2377) for capacitance and DCR measurement solution are supplied for EDLC tests, which allows the user to utilize the standard to calculate the capacitance and internal resistance value without programming and data calculation.
BATTERY CAPACITY TESTING
The capacity of battery cell is usually the integral of discharge current and time. Thus, the discharge current during capacity test may affect the test for last capacity. Though every battery has labeled the manufacture specication. and uses 0.2C or 0.3C for capacity test commonly, the dynamic battery often performs charge and discharge higher than 0.2C or 0.3C. If only spec is referred for setting the power battery capacity, it may differ from the actual capacity. For practical use, the final battery charge and discharge rate should be referred for battery cell test to get a more accurate capacity.
BATTERY CYCLE LIFE TESTING
The battery charge and discharge cycle life testing is not only required by power battery but all battery cells under the same test conditions. The test uses predefined charge/discharge conditions as a cycle to tes the same cell repeatedly and evaluates the cycles executed for battery before the end condition is met. The more cycles indicate the longer battery cell life. The same test conditions can be used to test various battery cells for performance appraisal or to assess the most suitable charge/discharge and usage conditions.
Cycle Life Testing
The value of internal resistance value is related to the charge/discharge current of power battery. The larger internal resistance the worse efficiency with temp erature rising. The traditional LCR meter 1Khz measurement can only assess the battery sudden power output hinder caused by the resistive conductivity close to Ro (near ACIR), but unable to assess the delay caused during electrochemistry transition. According to the equivalent circuit diagram in Figure 3, the DCIR assessment includes the resistance of ACIR. Thus, all cells used by power batteries should be assessed by DCIR. The assessment of DCIR complies to BS EN 61960 that can apply this test waveform to calculate the DCIR value using the current and voltage difference through two different loading currents.
EDLC CAPACITANCE & DCIR TEST APPLICATION
The EDLC test follows the actual product application to divide the test conditions. Based on the category of IEC 62391 standard, there are 4 the >basic EDLC product application s: 1. Memory Backup, 2. Power Application, 3. Energy Storage, 4. Transient Power. Different test applications indicate different test condition and the tester should select suitable test equipment and current with accurate test device.
EDLC Capacitance Testing Curve
According to the EDLC test standard IEC 62391, the EDLC has to be CV charged before testing the capacity. The capacity test is to discharge CC via the above discharge current. Then, get 80% and 40% voltage points of EDLC rated voltage on the discharge curve when done and use the actual voltage drop and spacing time with discharge current to calculate the EDLC capacity.
EDLC Internal Resistance (DCIR) Testing Cure
According to the EDLC test standard IEC 62391, same as the steps for testing DCIR, the EDLC has to be CV charged before testing the DCIR. The capacity test is to discharge CC via the above discharge current. When the discharge is done, get the linear section on the discharge cur ve and extend it to discharge time and then get the voltage dierence of rated voltage and discharge current to calculate the DCIR value.
Battery Cell Formation System
Model 17000 series
- ERM (Energy Recycling Module) recycles discharged energy
- BVT (Battery Voltage Tracking) reduces power consumption while battery charging
- Energy savings monitor: tracks kW, kWh, reduced CO2 or plated-tree display
- Plug-in module design simplifies service and maintenance
- Real-time outer-loop resistance check
- System safety/test reliability through PLC/IPC monitoring of all sensors (temperature, smoke, device type and battery tray position)
- Systems are linked as a LAN offering remote monitoring and control
- Automated handling and sorting available
Chroma 17000 series is specifically designed for the formation of Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer secondary batteries. The 17000 series is a complete turn-key system, including carrier trays, robust battery probe contacts, high quality charge/discharge modules and intuitive software all under computer control.
Patented Battery Voltage Tracking (BVT) DC-DC conversion power modules minimize power consumption in battery charging, and Energy Recycle Modules (ERM) recycle the discharged energy directly back to the DC power system for increased power efficiency. These power saving designs provide a planet friendly solution along with cost savings by reducing energy consumption.
The intuitive software provides a flexible selection in the charge/ discharge channel, current rating, and modules under test. These features allow the Series 17000 to be used for final cell development, pilot line production, high volume production and ongoing reliability monitoring/quality control.